9 de octubre de 2011

Notting Hill - Part 1

Notting Hill is an area in London, England, close to the north-western corner of Kensington Gardens, in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It is a cosmopolitan district known as the location for the annual Notting Hill Carnival, and for being home to the Portobello Road Market.

Notting Hill has had an association with artists and "alternative" culture since its development in the 1820s.There are also areas of deprivation to the north,sometimes referred to as North Kensington, or Ladbroke Grove, from the name of the street.

Video 1


Stephen: Wow, these are amazing. This one’s really nice. You’d look great in that.

Ashlie: No, I think I’d prefer something like this. This is much more colourful.

Stephen: We’re here in East London planning our costumes for next week’s Notting Hill Carnival. There's lots of work to do before the big day.

Ashlie: Yeah, here at the Mas-Camp, they're busy making all of their own costumes. And today, I'm here to help. So while I'm busy with that, Stephen's going to be picking up some dance moves. Yeah, come on.

.....

Ashlie: Wow, this looks really complicated – what’s it going to be?

Costume maker: It’s called ‘Pollination’ and it’s going to be a butterfly on a flower.

Ashlie: Oh, it’s beautiful. But it must take you hours and hours to work on this.

Costume maker: Actually, we started about three months ago. So yes, hours and hours.

Ashlie: So do you all compete, then, to see who’s got the best costume?

Costume maker: Yes, actually we have the competition in about four days at Alexander Palace.

Ashlie: Wow, you must be nervous.

Costume maker: Yeah, really.

Ashlie: Good luck for this year - I'm sure you'll do brilliantly.

Costume maker: Thank you very much.

.....

Ashlie: Stephen, can you just help me with this?

Stephen: Yes, what do you need me to do?

Ashlie: Can you hold this piece down while I glue this on?

Stephen: Yeah. What is it?

Ashlie: This is going to be part of my head-piece.

Stephen: Wow! That's going to look absolutely amazing. Shall I put my finger here?

Ashlie: Yes, right that’s it. Thank you, I just need to glue this piece down. There we go. Right, shouldn’t you be learning some dance moves? Stephen! You're glued to my hat!

.....

Stephen: Excuse me, mate. Is this the dance lesson?

Man: Yes, I'm the dance teacher. Do you want to join in?

Stephen: Yes, please!

Man: Alright, come on, let me show you what to do. Alright, so, let's see what we're going to do. We’re going to do a criss cross to the right and kick with our left foot at the same time.

Stephen: I'll do it with you, go on.

Stephen: Criss cross, kick kick. OK, I can do that.

Man: Ready?

Stephen: Yep.

Man: Sure? OK, lets go, listen to this, 5,6,7,8...

.....

Stephen: Wow! The costume looks great. What do you think of mine?

Ashlie: Er, well it’s nice, but mine is better. I mean it’s more, more glamorous. And do you know what? I helped make it myself! So how did the dancing lesson go?

Stephen: It was excellent! I had a really good teacher - really hard work though – I’m exhausted already.

Ashlie: Come on then – show me your moves! Yeah, I think you’re going to need a little more practice.

Stephen: Ha – maybe. C’mon you need to practise some moves too, if we're going to win a prize for the best carnival dancers.

Ashlie: I can’t wait. I’m really excited. It’s going to be fab! Come on then.

Video 2


And now, we offer you the UK Cinema trailer of the movie that made Notting Hill one of the most famous places in England.


An unlikely relationship blossoms between the most famous actress in the world and a charming bookkeeper living in Notting Hill.